Date - 3rd September 2026
Book Title - Violet Thistlewaite Is Not The Villain Anymore
Author - Emily Krempholtz
I’m not one to normally read romance or cosy fantasy, as I love deep lore building and epic adventures. That said, the idea of this book really caught my eye when someone mentioned it in a book ground I’m in. I kept away from the main concepts of the plot before reading, and it wasn’t quite what I thought from the title as the main character is kinder than I expected. But, I really enjoyed this read, and recommend it to anyone who wants to give cosy fantasy a go.
Genre - Cosy Romance Fantasy
Length - 368 pages
Series or Standalone - Standalone
How I Read - Audiobook
Other Adaptations - Paperback
After the death of the evil villain , the hero gives a new task to his favoured henchman, The Thorn Witch; be good. Violet, the aforementioned witch, sets out to create a new life for herself away from the shadow of Guy Shadowfade. But when a curse embroils her new home, Violet can't help but get sucked into investigating.
Perspective - Third Person, Past Tense
Tropes - Redemption, Enemies to Lovers, Slow-Burn, Found Family, Grumpy/ Sunshine
Triggers - Abuse (Emotional)
Review
Setting and Atmosphere
The story is mostly set in a small town as Violet starts a new life. The town felt realistic, with and the description of the run-down areas helped to show the effects of the dark sorcerer.
In terms of atmosphere, the shadow of Guy was created really well. Even after death, you can feel his reach in the town and the lives of the characters.
That said, there wasn’t a huge amount of world-building, and it relied on the reader’s existing knowledge of fantasy. Krempholtz tells you the limited knowledge you need of this specific town, rather than inundating you with the lore of the whole kingdom. This didn’t ruin the story for me, but don’t expect a huge amount of world-building lore.
Characters and Development
The characters were all unique and not easily confused with each other in their design. They’re fun and full of character, and it’s interesting to meet them through Violet’s eyes. At times, I did want a little bit more to their descriptions (both in terms of appearance and personality), but I think it was well done for a standalone cosy read.
Some chapters are from the view point of Nathaniel as well, which gives the reader an insight into his personality without revealing it to Violet.
I did feel that Violet's character was a little too kind, and it was too easy for her to break away from being a 'villain'. The story was still very enjoyable, and the trauma of her past under Guy's care was really engaging, but she never really felt like a villain to me. It was more of a victim starting again, then a villain. I still enjoyed the story, but if you're looking for a true villainess character (like in Villains Are Destined to Die) then just be aware that Violet doesn't fit that trope.
Violet Thistlewaite Is Not The Villain Anymore is a slow-burn romance. Personally, I get a bit impatient with this trope, but Krempholtz kept me invested the whole way through, and she delivered when it finally progressed.
Pacing and Plot Development
I felt that the pacing was a little slow at a few points. It didn’t feel like it detracted from the story, and I think it helped to build Violet’s character to have these calm moments after what she went through under Guy. It felt like a much needed break for Violet, similar to the slow-paced nature of Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End (anime and manga) if you’re familiar with it. The dramatic elements of the book are very well written and feel high stakes; Kremholtz gets a really good balance between the slow, cosy moments of rebuilding life, and the action of a fantasy setting.
The plot progression through the story was good and engaging, and Krempholtz does a great job at weaving in Violet’s past to help you see the world through her eyes. I enjoyed how she wove in
My one note would be that maybe the lore to do with the climax could have been integrated into the story a bit earlier, rather than feeling a bit abrupt at the end (it’s hard to explain without giving spoilers!). There are a few vague hints earlier on, but personally I think it could have been spread out more, rather than just being left to the end of the book.
Prose and Writing Style
Favourite Character
My personal favourite character was Bartleby; I always have a soft spot for the slightly unhinged characters. For those that know Hazbin Hotel, he’s a little like Nifty.
Favourite Part
I really enjoyed the final confrontation at the end. I thought that it was really well written, exciting and had a good plot twist.
![]() |
| Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End (building a life after the adventure) |
| The Spellshop (starting a new life whilst trying to hide your magic) |

.png)


Comments
Post a Comment