Date - 21st August 2026
Book Title - The Duke's Delight
Author - C.N. Jarrett
I recently signed up to a site called BookSirens, both as an author and a reader. It's a site that allows you to read soon-to-be-released books for free, with the expectation that you review the book (provided that you DNF it). This process is called ARC reading (standing for Advance Reader Copy) and is invaluable to authors, particularly indie authors like myself and Jarrett.
This is the first book that caught my eye on BookSirens and wow it's set the bar high! I wasn't too sure what to expect as it's been a while since I read Regency Era books, but the historian in me was in love with Jarrett's writing before the end of the Prologue!
Genre - Historical Romance (Regency Britain)
Length - 241 pages
Series or Standalone - Series (Book 1)
How I Read - eBook (ARC copy)
Other Adaptations - paperback
Alistair Fraser-Oxley owns a successful mill in Yorkshire, and is highly respected by his employees and business associates. But when a letter arrives saying that he's inherited the dukedom that his father was disowned from, he finds himself invested in the women of his new estate.
Perspective - Third Person, Past Tense
Tropes - Found Family, Forced Proximity, Unwanted Inheritance, Redemption
Triggers - Death, Abuse (Neglect and Emotional)
Review
Setting and Atmosphere
From the start, the world was vivid and had me hooked. Jarrett took time and care to describe the mill, the town and the estate. Having taught about the Industrial Revolution in Yorkshire-based schools, I thought that the mill itself was well-crafted and felt realistic.
The descriptions of the estate, and the journey there, set the mood really well for the next few scenes. Whilst I know first hand how dreary Yorkshire springs can be, Jarrett used the weather as a useful tool to set the scene in multiple occasions, both altering the mood and alluding to secrets.
Characters and Development
I absolutely love the character of Alistair. He is pragmatic, sensible and straightforward, which is a rare find in romance novels. He is dimensional and grows in character over the course of the novel, and he isn't blind to the actions and wants of others around him (read - there's no miscommunication trope, which I love!).
Josephine holds many secrets at the start, and I enjoyed the fact that she isn't just a weak heroine who sits on the sidelines. She realises that something needs to be done but she doesn't have the strength alone - in my eyes, that recognising their shortcomings makes a character stronger.
The side characters are equally as interesting and varied. All of the cousins are unique and don't feel too similar, despite their circumstances. The servants introduced are also well-crafted, and don't exist to blend into the shadows of the story.
My only want in terms of characters is a tiny bit more of the grandmother. She was well written and unforgettable from her scenes, but I just want more.
Pacing and Plot Development
As a writer and reader of action fantasy, I was a bit worried that the pacing would be a bit slow for me with a historical romance. However, Jarrett's smooth writing style kept me engaged the whole way through the novel, and I found it difficult to put down; I read the first half of the book in one sitting, which is unheard of for me!
Prose and Writing Style
Jarrett's use of language made it clear what you should be feeling in each location, and around each character. From gentle words for descriptions of Josephine and the use of more logical and to-the-point language around Alistair, her writing helped to develop the characters and scenes beyond obvious descriptions.
There are a few words here and there that you may need to look up the definition of if you're not too clued-up on the time period. In particular, Jarrett uses specific textile and mill terminology at points, which I feel adds to the authenticity and dedicated personality of Alistair.
The Duke's Delight is written in a third person, past tense style which allows you to see elements of the story from the perspectives of different characters when needed. The book also shifts between following Alistair and following Josephine, meaning that you get to experience a variety of happenings within the Oxley household that would not be possible from a single point of view. It builds suspense due to Josephine's secret, which you are aware of as a reader but the other characters are not.
Historical Accuracy
As already mentioned, I feel that there was good research done on the textile mills during the Regency Era. There are a few words here and there that you may need to look up the definition of if you're not too clued-up on the time period. In particular, Jarrett uses specific textile and mill terminology at points, which I feel adds to the authenticity and dedicated personality of Alistair.
Favourite Character
As much as he's only a small part of the story, I really enjoyed Mr. Beckford as a character. He was no nonsense and straight to the point, and even in his brief appearances I enjoyed his personality.
I also thoroughly enjoyed the duke as a character. Mostly for the same straight-forward reasons. He's a dynamic and well-thought out character, and you could learn everything you needed from his introduction in the prologue.
Favourite Part
![]() |
| The Mismatch of the Season (Michelle Kenney) |
| Miss Pendleton (webtoon) |
| The Misadventures of Miss Adelaide (Maggie Dallen) |




Comments
Post a Comment